Little did I know when I started that it was a flagstone tessellation. I should've known, but I didn't find that out until I started puzzling out its construction.
. They can be a pain. And this one was.
There was a lot of pre-folding. That was 90% of the work.
It's a series of hexagon twists on the back of the paper. Then you go to the other side and surround them with rhombuses. Some large triangles allow everything to lay neatly together.
The gender of the folds was quite important in achieving the final collapse. Having the right valley and mountain folds was critical. The hexes had to go to the back. The rhombuses had to go to the front. The connective triangles also had to go to the back. All the rhombuses twist in the same direction. All the hexes twist in the same direction. The triangles don't really twist. They just sort of collapse as they connect the hexes and rhombuses.
When I began, I thought the hard part would be determining how to fold it. As I progressed, I realized, the actual execution of the design was the trickiest part.
A rewarding puzzle to solve. A stunning result.